Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tex Mex Summer Squash Casserole

When I think of summer I definitely think of squash and zucchini.  Although, I do eat it year round, when summer rolls around I eat it at least three times a week, therefore I am always looking for new ways to prepare it.  So when I tried this recipe I found in Taste of Home magazine, I knew it was a definite keeper.  It has tons of flavor and it is easily divided in half when you don't need to feed 10 people lol.  You can also modify it and change things, like my friend Emil did when she added bacon.  For this recipe you will need the following:

     7 medium yellow summer squash, sliced (about 10 cups)
     2 1/14 cup shredded cheddar cheese
     1 medium yellow onion, chopped
     1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
     1 can (4 oz) diced jalapeno peppers, drained
     1/4 cup flour
     1/2 tsp of salt
     1 tsp of cumin
     2-3 tsp taco seasoning
     2 tsp of cilantro
     3/4 cup of salsa
     4 green onions, diced
     1/4 cup of red onion, chopped

     Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine the squash, 3/4 cup of cheese, yellow onion, chilies, and jalapeno peppers.  Sprinkle with flour, salt, and other spices; stir gently to combine.
     Transfer the squash mixture to a greased 13x9 inch baking dish.  Bake, covered, 30-40 minutes or until squash in tender.
     Remove from the oven, and spoon the salsa over the top; sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups of cheese.  Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes or longer until the cheese is golden brown.  Let it stand for 10 minutes.  Top with the green and red onions, and then enjoy!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment